Date: 3 December 2020
Event format: Virtual Zoom workshop
Size: Up to eight participants
Cost: £75 plus VAT (this is an introductory rate payable directly to the presenter)
Who should register? Any business professionals who are keen to build a media profile
This lively interactive 90-minute Zoom workshop will be delivered by our associate editor and career coach Husnara Begum who has previously spent almost a decade working as a journalist at a leading business-to-business title where she was the City editor. Prior to switching to journalism, Husnara was a corporate lawyer at Linklaters. Husnara is a very experienced and engaging media skills trainer who regularly works with senior lawyers at some of the City’s top law firms, helping them to devise robust media strategies.
- To equip participants with a better understanding of how business-to-business / industry titles work and to highlight the integral relationship between positive PR, business development, marketing and recruitment
- To give participants ideas on what constitutes ‘news’ and how to pitch stories to journalists
- To identify positive steps participants should be taking to increase media coverage
- To encourage participants to start thinking about building their own media strategies to help promote their work/teams
- To highlight some of the many pitfalls associated with talking to journalists, including the varied meanings given to the phrase ‘off the record’
- Why talk to the media?
- Differences between national and industry press
- What makes a good story and spotting angles
- Where do stories come from?
- The meaning of ‘off the record’ and rules on attribution
- Tips for dealing with unexpected calls from journalists
- How to get positive media coverage and limit reputational damage caused by negative stories
- How to pitch a story idea to reporters/editors
- How to avoid pitfalls when dealing with journalists
To register for a place, please email email@example.com with the Course Title & Date in the subject heading. We will forward your booking onto Husnara who will contact you directly with further details.